Wednesday, July 13, 2011

How to Help Yourself? Name Swap!

So, it's been a while since my last post-and I apologize for that, but my pc broke, so I'm working off of laptops, netbooks, iPhones and such and I hate borrowing other's people's stuff for a bit longer than the checking of emails...

In any case being that I'm still 'stuck in the Shidduch scene' I decided there must be SOMETHING I can do to help myself, other than waiting around for phonecalls/email/faxes, which are getting less and less and when they DO come in, are getting worse and worse (in terms of the potential candidates). Then I met a friend of mine who I literally haven't seen in months. We got talking and of course after updating each other on our lives, the convo turned to, well, what else? Shidduchim, as we are both 'still' single. We started to think of guys for the other one-which was sweet, and such a natural thing to do for a friend, especially in the same situation, you WISH the person to just be OVER the Shidduch-dating already and just be settled, happily married, etc. and then we mutually decided to name swap.

I'm not saying a few names, I'm talking organized, techy name-swapping. The full fledged, sit down at the Cafe, bring your laptop, bring your Access Database, or Excel worksheet with all info and going through all potentials for an hour or so. And this, ladies & gents, is what we intend doing. If nothing comes of it, atleast we both know we tried, we did our Hishtadlush and perhaps, who knows, we may come up with a good idea for any of these potential guys that might not be shayach for either of us.

I suggest you all do the same, you 'never know'...

2 comments:

  1. i know someone in baltimore who did/is doing something like this. she put together a database of potentials and it really grew, the principle is that everyone need to contribute to if you want it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a great idea that has real potential (pardon the pun)! But how would it work with privacy. I mean, for two people to do it with one another is great, but it could never become a public database (which is where it would be the most successful presumably). What you're suggesting is basically a scaled-down sawyouonsinai for two people. I like it, but it's a bit limited in scope and good only for two or three friend. That could be precisely what you intended it to be though...

    ReplyDelete