Friday, January 1, 2010

Starting off the new year with a BANG!

Happy New Year!
This post will NOT be about Shidduchim-I know, you're all surprised, but I still feel the need to share this with my fellow blogreaders.
This evening, being it 'Erev New Years', the entire city closed shop by 5:00 pm. My dad and I made a pact that we would go to this place tonight, a place he would always take our family, when we were kids that had a whole decorated 'window' with little moving animals, a train, a workshop, etc. It was good memories, of old-fashioned family fun and most of my friends grew up going to the same place with their families each winter. Well, this winter we didn't have the chance to go and even tho we're all grown up, it was like one of those nostalgic things u remember doing and wanna relive the 'magical moments' and being that everything else was closed and nothing played on TV, we figured tonight would be the perfect night.
So, it was just me and my dad and on the way, we stopped by my favorite quant little bakery and filled up on the goodies. Sure enough, on the way to 'our place' we had to pass through downtown, which obviously was packed with clubs, drunk people, lotsa noise, etc.
We pass by and find a parking spot RIGHT INFRONT OF THE PLACE (which is almost impossible at the best of times). As we pull into the spot, I notice a homeless man sitting square and center on the floor, right infront of the place and I mentioned to my dad that he got front row seats. The next thing I know, there is a really loud BANG and a bump and people are pointing a the front of our car. Seemed we hit a piece of metal (=loud noise and bump) and the pedestrians saw and made sure we knew of this. Even the homeless man got up and knocked on the window, he wouldn't give up. When we opened the window just a drop (I have a small phobia of homeless people) he said we had a flat and he could change our tire. Immediately I told my dad this was a bad idea, I mean, for all we know, he could also be cousins with the Queen of England and his name could be Michael Jackson, but if we have CAA, now we'll make use of it. So we go ahead and call for a tire change. We were on the phone with service for 25 minutes as they couldn't track down any company to help. The guy kept apologizing for the wait and said he final tracked a company down but they could only come in 2 hours. Anyway, when we heard this and it was getting closer to midnight, the homeless guy knocked on the window again asking us if he can change our tire, etc.Finally, my dad gave in, we realized we didn't have a choice-either wait 2 hours if someone actually would be able to come out then, or rely on the homeless guy who claimed he used to be a mechanic.
I watched as my dad gave the guy all the tools and then called home to 'update the family' on our surprise outing. Sure enough when I hung up the phone, I see another guy standing with my dad and the homeless guy. Turn out this 'other guy' was passing by and happened to offer his help. He aso happened to be a car dealer, so he knew what to do and how to change a tire-plus, he looked clean and seemed decent. All this seemed quite weird as I'm the one who 'pretends not to see' the homeless people and I wouldn't even accept his offer or this other guy who walked up to my dad and who also happened to be a 'Yishmaeli'.
Long story short-20 minutes later, the tire was changed. My dad paid both guys for their time and we were on our way back home. Unfortunately, I got in as 12:02 and 'just missed the ball drop', but atleast we got home safe and sound and no at a crazy hour. B"H both men were decent men and just 'good goyim' probably starting off the new year with a good deed. So, ya, I'm sure there was a reason for the flat tonight and for the homeless and yishmaeli to help us. I must admit, I was extremely hesitant at first, but B"H im back home and ok.
So, public thanks to Hashem that (1) we got the flat at a parking spot and were in a safe spot (2) no drunks, or crazy people attacked us (3) homeless guy didn't steal our money and/or car or start up (4) Yishmaeli didn't hurt or attack us. (5) he just happened to be a car dealer and knew how to tire change our model vehicle (6) the homeless man was there when we got the flat and he knew a well.
Happy New Year to all of ya and may you always 'bump' into the 'good goyim' if you ever find yourself in need of one.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think all "Yishmaelim" in the U.S. are all intending murder. He doesn't have any mushy-gushy Christmas motivated reasons for being nice, except for drumming up business for his dealership.

    But they seem to take "Good will to all men" crap pretty seriously. I have had people hold open the mail slot and smile angelically when I accidentally bump into them.

    ReplyDelete