Sunday, January 17, 2010

Can Single Girls have Good Hair Days?

Good thing I had a double expresso this motzei-I get to sit here and publish all the pending posts from this past week:

I'm the kinda girl who will go to work each mornin, half asleep (work starts at 9am, I get outta bed at 8:35 and drive to work half asleep-but B"H it works for me and I'm still gettin my paycheck), nicely put together (no trashy jeans & t-shirt) and with my hair pulled back. Pulled back=pony tail, chignon, messy bun, all up with mush in a fancy shiny clip or if my hair is still wet from the night before's shower=wear it down and curly, but with a bobby pin so the hair is outta my face.

In any case, being that I work with approx. 15 co-workers and apparently they all seem to be used to my daily attire and 'look', it's hard to actually look good without reason.

Here's an example. Last week I got a haircut. Usually I get a hair appointmemt in the evening, get it cut and blowdried and the next day it still looks great and I get all the usual comments="oh, she MUST be getting engaged-look at how good her hair is", or "do you have a wedding tonight? Why is your hair done?" This week it was pretty booked and so the only hair appointment available was during lunch break. Hence, I got to work with messy up-hair and presto-came back from my lunchbreak lookin like a moviestar (YES! my hairdresser is REALLY THAT GOOD!) For the rest of the day, the comments kept flying, the married women kept shushkinning in their corners, etc. I was asked about 8 times why my hair was soo good (excuse: I got a haircut wasn't good enough-there had to be a better reason). It was drivin me nuts!

Luckily I don't cut my hair that often and usually when I have a Simcha or an occasion, then ya, I wear my hair down and it looks good. But when a single girl looks good-then it raises eyebrows and questions!

It is so frustrating-even tho, I must admit, I like making people crazy and whispering loudly on the phone when the are near and saying 'unofficial' just to watch them go nuts, but when you look good-you feel good, and a single girl can't feel good without having a good reason apparently!

Folks-am I wrong for wanting to just get my nails, makeup, or hair done just because and not for any specific reason? Why do I feel the need to even MAKE UP a reason when people ask? Or does that mean that I don't look good on a regular basis? If so-help! I need get myself a standing appointment at the salon!

3 comments:

  1. The same by me; I usually get a haircut to coincide with an event, be it wedding, date, or bar mitzvah, but sometimes it's overgrown and the hair must be done. I get it blown since my place is so cheap.
    And the comments. The sidelong glances. But no one asks if my marriage is pending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the companies where I used to work, whenever one of the engineers came to work wearing a tie/ jacket/ suit or anything other than the usual casual clothes, he/ she would get comments like, "Good luck on the interview," and people would speculate about which competitor the guy was interviewing with. Project managers were known to panic if they saw one of their key engineers in a suit & tie, especially if the project was running behind already.

    So if your colleagues weren't frum, they might still be gossiping about you. They just would be speculating about your career moves rather than your personal life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. data: no one would DARE ask-but the bodylingo says it all
    anon: what u say is true-however to put it in the 'frum' perspective: the only kinda interview I'd be goin to, as a frum single in her mid-twenties is an interview for 'marriage minded singles', aka meeting a shadchan or on a date

    ReplyDelete