Friday, July 13, 2012

the Threesome

I couldn't think of a more appropriate name for the title of this post. I know alot of you are reading this with (atleast) one raised eyebrow, but don't take it that literally until you read on.
This week I went on my first 'threesome' date. By that I mean that I was set to go out with this guy and he came to pick me up and all was well, until he realized that he forgot the third party. So he apologized and drove back to go pick him up. I was a little surprised by this, as I assumed and most only dated ONE guy (at a time), and I did think it to be a bit rude, especially with no explanation, but who am I to speak up so soon into a date. I sat quietly and nodded my head as he let me know he was turning back.
He quickly got out of the car and a few minutes later he was back and we were on the road to the restaurant. The guy seemed a bit distracted and subdued. We ordered our food and whilst waiting for it to be served at our table, instead of talking, he pulled out the third party=his trusty android. Yes, folks, as lame/rude as this may seem, he pulled the phone out of his pocket, both elbows on the table, me facing the phone and began typing away. It seemed like time went by FOREVER. I watched my reflection in the back of his phone whilst he was busy tapping away and tried to bring up conversation but it seemed he was more interested in trust little 'Andy', than in me=his date.
I remained polite, trying to bring in conversation as much as possible, but after about 1/2 hour into the date I realized it was pointless. He didn't care whether I was polite or rude, pretty or ugly, nice or mean, short or tall-he didn't care that I was even THERE=sitting right across from him. He was too busy dating 'Andy', perhaps checking his emails, texting friends, updating his facebook status, maybe even playing Angry Birds.
Upon realizing that this was no competition for me, I politely thanked him for the evening (I had to actually get UP from the table in order to catch his attention, as the Android was blocking my face), and told him I would catch a ride back home.
Suffice it to say, if the guy was an extremely important/busy business man or it was at a time that was extremely sensitive to him, he could've explained that he might be paged/called/was expecting an email, etc. He could've put his phone on vibrate, or atleast gone to the washroom to do whatever 'important' things he had to do on his phone-privately. But being that the mannerism=actually LACK of manners was sooo obvious (not only to me, but others in the restaurant were giving us 'the look), I took the opportunity of hailing a lift home, and not even giving him the option of driving me back. Heck, I didn't want to G-d forbid get into an accident on the way home whilst Andy & him were busy together....
An that folks, was my first -and hopefully LAST, threesome experience.
SOS=0, Andy=1

6 comments:

  1. He drove BACK to get the dang thing?

    You go girl! Marching out of the place and getting a ride - best display of girl power I have heard in a long time!

    I find it highly unlikely he was in middle of a serious business merger that required his devoted time.

    It's like when people text and drive; they think they can do two things at a time successfully, but they'll just end up with a car wrapped around a tree. A fate which you managed very well to avoid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so terrible, it's almost unbelievable. I hope his future wife realizes that she will always be the third wheel.

    Leftover Cholent

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's insane. I can't believe this actually happens and hope it doesn't/hasn't become widespread. It's like the stuff of nightmares...

    ReplyDelete
  4. did anyone hear of zivugzone.com ??? new orthodox dating website

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eep. Wow. The last time that happened to me I waved my hand betwwn the guy's phone and his face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May G_d help you to avoid situations like this in the future.

    ReplyDelete