Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sometimes a Picture DOES speak 1000 words

So, I know how I'm sooo against the whole 'guys demanding pictures' or 'guy's moms demanding pictures' when it comes to Shidduchim.
We call it 'catalogue service' and therefore do not 'hand out' our photos to every person who has an email address.
HOWEVER, I've come to appreciate the 'other side' of the situation and here's why. This morning this woman called me and told me that she was 'networking' and had spoken with this woman about me and the woman said she had this guy, etc, etc. The guy apparently looked into me and gave a 'yes' so she wanted to know if it would interest me. The first two things she told me about him, I honestly was not looking for nor was I even interested by, but I told her to provide me with some more information. She emailed me some information and while waiting for more info, I figured I'd just check him up on facebook. Let's just say=yay for people who put up photos! I don't mean to sound rude or come across as superficial, but in all of honesty-had I traveled for a date with this guy, I would've been truly disappointed. Also, it was a picture which clearly depicted his frumkeit level, as well as his looks and in addition to the information it clearly made me realize this boy was not for me.
So folks-sometimes it IS worth it to see a picture. I'm not saying email your photos to your entire contact list, but if you happen to come across one, etc. it saves time and energy.

2 comments:

  1. But keep in mind - in an alternate universe, where it is possible for girls to ask for guys' photos, then the one he'd give out for shidduch purposes wouldn't be his current FB photo. I definitely sympathize with you in the constant travel to date - but for some, who have no problem meeting up, let's say, for a coffee in the city, is photos really necessary?

    ReplyDelete
  2. True-if it was just for coffee or for a night out on the town where I wouldn't havta travel-I probably wouldn't do the FB or google background check-so I agree with u on that one ;)

    ReplyDelete