Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Talk Down

We've all been there before. Sitting at a table during a weding meal, or  standing at the desserts by a vort-and sorta being privy to 'the conversation'. By conversation, I mean the Shidduch talk. 
No, we are not actually included in this conversation, but it's almost as if we  are meant to purposely overhear the talk down. 
In my case, because I'm looking for a 'torah im derech eretz' (working/learning) guy, the talk will be about how aweful it is when boys aren't sitting in yeshiva learning. When they chas v'shalom work for a living, have a job, are taking courses and actually doing something with their life. Don't get me wrong. Just because I'm not looking to marry a learning guy doesn't mean I have something against them. But even though I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, looking down and quite outwardly 'dissing' boys who work or have jobs is rude. Especially when I was at a simcha this week and the women at the mechitzah were all talking about the fact that they were thankful their sons were in yeshiva and how it would give their boys a terrible name as well as ruin their shidduch prospects if they were actually (gulp!) w-o-R-k-i-n-g. 
So peoples: here's the story. We are all adults living together in a community. Everyone has different backgrounds, beliefs, etc. You don't have t necessarily agree or approve but keep the talk downs to yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment