Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Getting Through to Shadchanim

Is it me, or is it becoming more and more difficult to reach Shadchanim? The old ones, the new ones, the ones who only email and the ones who only take calls during specific hours-each of them are highly impossible to get through to. It's almost as if they don't even want to deal in Shadchanus anymore. 
Does anyone remember the good old days? Before resumes? When you would make/take an actual call to a Shadchan, speak to them for a while, get to know one another and jot down the information you were given? 
Nowadays, if you get a text message back, consider yourself lucky. If I send an email, there is an correspondence, informing me that since 'said shadchan' has loads of emails flooding in, it may take time to respond. Another awaymessage, notifies me that 'said shadchan' only checks her emails sporadically. An answering machine at another Shadchan kindly advises me that if the call is regarding Shidduchim to email, 'such and such email address'. A separate voicemail informs me to only call during the hours of 8-10pm on Mondays and Wednesdays.
And those are actual autoresponses. Forget about the many I spend my evenings calling that DON'T RESPOND AT ALL. I mean, what's the point of giving out your number and advertising that you are a Shadchan if you can't even pick up a phone?!?!
To all Shadchanim: if you do NOT want to help people with Shidduchim-just leave an autoresponse stating so. Don't give us singles false hope and asking us to call back or send emails if you won't respond to those emails or voicemails. I rather not call at all, then spend hours making calls and writing emails that have no potential of even being heard/looked at.
Oh, and don't even get me started on the texting and/or whatsapp. I see those double check marks Shadchanim-I know you got/saw my message and don't respond. 
So, here's the situation. If you are avoiding us because you don't have anyone-rather just pick up the phone, or just type a 5 word email/text/whatsapp saying 'there's no one right now' or 'sorry I can't help' or 'don't have any "yes"s yet'. It's that simple and saves us many headaches, not to mention emotions each time we pick up the phone to make the call.
For all the singles out there=dont'cha just wish you can get a really awesome caller id, one that most Shadchans would pick up because it's an 'important' looking number/organization. Then, once they pick up-you can just say you're calling for yourself and they'd give you the 5 minutes, or even 2 minutes of their time?

No comments:

Post a Comment